Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation

Human Resources

Alabama State University’s Office of Human Resources assists current and prospective ASU employees with information about benefits, policies, human resource services and much more. Our office is located on the second floor of the University’s main administrative building, Councill Hall.

Leave Program

Find information about leave time for ASU employees, including vacation, sick leave and the official university holiday schedule. Learn more.

Education Assistance Program (EAP) and Tuition Assistance

ASU Employees have access to free and confidential EAP through integrated Behavioral Health. Also, fulltime employees may be eligible for Tuition Assistance through Alabama State University. Learn More

Retirement Program

Qualified ASU employees contribute to the Teachers’ Retirement System of Alabama, and have the option of enrolling in Supplemental Retirement 403(B) plans. Learn More 

Contact Info

Get contact information for the ASU Human Resources Office. Learn More

Employment Opportunities

View a list of ASU's current employment openings. Click on the links below
Staff, Faculty, Student

To submit an online employment application, please select a category below.

The University fulltime employees and their qualified dependents are offered medical insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama. Both medical plans offer preventative care at 100%, an out‐of‐pocket maximum to protect you should a catastrophic event occur, and out‐of‐network coverage when needed. Although   out‐of‐network coverage is available, using network providers will save you money. You can find Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama providers online at  or by calling Blue Cross Blue Shield of   Alabama at 1‐800‐292‐8868.

The University pays for a Group Basic Life and Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance through Guardian to all fulltime employees at no cost to the employee.

All fulltime employees are offered the following group benefits through Guardian Insurance: Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability (after being employed for one year), Critical Illness, Accident, and Cancer

Flexible Spending account- With a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), you can set aside pre‐tax dollars to pay for out‐of‐pocket expenses incurred for either health care or dependent day care. Because the amount you elect is taken on a pre‐tax basis, you have the opportunity to save up to an estimated 25% of out‐of‐pocket expenses! 

Employees Must Complete the Following Forms:

    • Click My Hornets Access
    • Click Hornets Web 
    • Click Access to Human Resources
    • Click the Self-Service (from the main menu)
    • Select Personal Information
    • Emergency Contacts (Add emergency contacts and save)


List of Benefits:

Alabama State University has implemented a number of policies to make the work environment a safe and fair place for employees. You’ll find information on several such policies below. You may also obtain copies of all applicable employee policies in the Human Resources Office, located on the second floor of the Councill Hall, the university’s main administrative building.

Background Check Policy

Alabama State University conducts background checks on all academic and non-academic job candidates post job-offer. This process is conducted to verify the accuracy of the information provided by the candidate and determine his/her suitability for employment.

Discrimination & Harassment Policy

The University has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination and/or harassment. The policy applies to students, faculty and staff. Download a copy of the official 2015 HR Manual

Technology Policies and Procedures

Alabama State University’s Computer Usage Policies apply to all employees and students. The policies govern usage of the University’s technology assets, including but not limited to hardware, software, Internet, email and other forms of electronic communications. Learn more.

Drug-Free Workplace

Alabama State University employees must conduct themselves in a responsible and professional manner at all times. The University’s Alcohol and Drug Abuse Policy addresses laws pertaining to drug and alcohol use while at work. 2015 HR Manual

Threat Response Protocol

Alabama State University recognizes that civility, understanding and mutual respect toward all members of the University community foster a climate intrinsic to excellence in teaching and learning. Violence or threats of violence on campus or at campus-sponsored events will not be tolerated. Learn more 



Are the positions listed on the website current?
Yes. A position is removed from the website once it is filled.

Is there a closing date for the posted positions?
Positions with no closing date are considered "open until filled."

If I have missed the closing date for a vacancy, can I still submit my application for consideration?
No. An application can only be submitted online for consideration for positions currently open and posted on the Alabama State University website.

I want to apply for more than one position. Do I need to submit an application for each post?
Yes. Once you log in to your account, review the job openings and select the apply link at the right to apply for the position. Repeat this for each position that is of interest.

How soon can I expect to hear the outcome of my applications?
The department responsible for the vacancy will review qualified applications and contact applicants selected for an interview. There is no set timeline and each department varies based on position need. You can log in to your account and select the "application status" tab to review the status for your application.

I would need a visa, can I still apply?
Yes. The online application requires consent to provide documentation for authorization to work in the U.S., as well as a valid social security number.

I do not have an email address, how will I receive correspondence?
An email address, as well as a physical address, is required for completing an online application. An email address can be created for free from various email providers (i.e. Yahoo).

How do I know my application has been received?
You will see a confirmation on the screen immediately after selecting the "submit" button. An email may also be sent to you with the same confirmation information.

How can I view my online application history?
Log in to your account and select the "application status" tab to view applications we have on file for you, as well as the current status.

I have forgotten my password, what should I do?
On the applicant login screen, select the link "I forgot my username/password" and follow the instructions for retrieving/resetting this information. An email will be sent to you with further instructions, when necessary. Check spam and junk folders if an email is not found in your inbox.

Back to top


Where can I find more information pertaining to University benefit options?
Visit the benefit section of the human resources webpage here and view the links on the left-hand side menu for more detailed information related to health, dental, leave, etc.


Back to top



What is Hornetsweb and how do I gain access to it?
My Hornets Access is a Single Sign-On (SSO) campus portal where you may access a variety of personal employment and financial paths such as contact information, payroll and compensation data, direct deposit history, benefits, emergency contacts W2 forms, department authorized purchasing capabilities and vendor listings. Your supervisor may contact the OTS Department (334) 229-4560 or via email at to setup your account. 

How do obtain my Employee ID number (EIN) and/or email address?
•    Contact the Office of Human Resources (334) 229-4612 for your CWID.
•    Contact Office Technology Services (OTS) to obtain an email (334) 229-4560 or via email at

How do I obtain a Staff ID Card?
•    Contact Office Technology Services (OTS) for more information regarding obtaining a staff ID card (334) 229-4560 or via email at

Back to top


Where do I find time sheets, staff leave request forms and other human resources forms?
Contact the Office of Human Resources at (334) 229-4667 with any questions or inquiries.

Where do I find faculty leave request forms and other faculty forms and/or documents?
Contact Academic Affairs at (334) 229-4231 for questions pertaining to faculty forms and the faculty handbook.


Back to top