Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation


Non-Federal Private/Alternative loans are private loans made through lending institutions. The loans are not part of the federal government programs. Alternative loans are more expensive than federal government guaranteed loans and should only be used when all other options have been exhausted.

Research all possibilities for scholarships, grants, work-study and federal loan programs before borrowing from an alternative loan program.

Free or lower-cost Title IV federal, state, or institutional financial aid may be available in place of, or in addition to, a private education loan. To apply for Title IV federal grants, loans and work-study, submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at, or by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID, or from the financial aid office.

Please note:

  • A private education loan may reduce eligibility for free or lower-cost federal, state, or institutional financial aid.
  • You are strongly encouraged to pursue the availability of free or lower-cost financial aid.

If you determine you need an alternative loan, we recommend that you review the many alternative loan lenders and research their policies and loan terms to decide the lender of your choice. The best way to locate alternative loan lenders is to do an internet search for "private student loans". Our office cannot suggest nor recommend an alternative lender.

These funds are available to students who meet the criteria set by various state higher education agencies. Students should contact those agencies within their state of legal residence for programs and availability.

Contact Us
Financial Aid Office
Alabama State University
J. Garrick Hardy Student Center C2.48
915 S. Jackson Street
Montgomery, AL 36101-0271
Phone: (334) 229-4323

Office of Admissions
Alabama State University
J. Garrick Hardy Student Center
P.O. Box 571
Montgomery, AL 36101
Phone: (800) 253-5037