Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation

state loans

State Grants

Much like the federal government, the state of Alabama provides its residents with a variety of funds to help meet the escalating costs of higher education. Learn more:

Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP) 
A state/federal aid program designed to provide assistance to undergraduate students who are residents of Alabama. Awards range from $300 to $2,500 per year. Residents of states other than Alabama should check with their higher education assistance agency in their home states for information about the availability of funds from the SSIG program.

Alabama National Guard Education Assistance Program 
A state program designed to provide financial assistance to Alabama National Guard members who are residents of the state of Alabama for undergraduate and graduate education at accredited post secondary institutions of higher learning located within the state of Alabama. The student may receive an award equal to tuition, fees, books, and supplies--not to exceed $500 per semester and $1,000 annually. Applications are available from the Alabama Commission on Higher Education, P.O. Box 302000, Montgomery, AL 36130-2000.

Alabama GI Dependents' Education Benefit Program
A state program providing tuition, fees, and book assistance to children and spouses of eligible Alabama veterans who attend public Post-secondary educational institutions in Alabama. Recipients must enroll as undergraduate students. Applications may be obtained from the Alabama State Department of Veterans' Affairs, P.O. Box 509, Montgomery, AL 36102 or from any county Veterans' Service Office.

American Legion Auxiliary Scholarship Program 
A grant award to be used for tuition, fees, and board expenses to attend a public post-secondary educational institution in Alabama. Awards are restricted to students who attend these institutions and to the sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters of veterans of World War I, World War II, the Korean War, or the Vietnam War and residents of Alabama. Applications are available from the American Legion Department Headquarters, American Legion Auxiliary, 120 North Jackson Street, Montgomery, AL 36104.

Alabama Scholarship for Dependents of Blind Parents
An award to cover instructional fees and tuition at an Alabama state institution of higher learning for children of families in which the head of the family is blind and whose family income is insufficient to provide educational benefits. Students must apply within two years of high school graduation. Applications are available from the State of Alabama, Department of Education, Administrative and Financial Services Division, Gordon Person Building, 50 North Ripley, Montgomery, AL 36130.

Police Officers and Firefighters Survivors' Educational Assistance Program 
A grant covering tuition, fees, books, and supplies for dependent and eligible spouses of Alabama police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty. Awards are available for undergraduate study in public institutions in the state. Applications can be acquired by contacting the Alabama Commission on Higher Education, P.O. Box 302000, Montgomery, AL 36130-2000.

State Grants/Scholarships
These funds are available to students who meet the criteria set by various state higher education agencies. Students should contact those agencies within their state of legal residence for programs and availability.

Contact Us
Financial Aid Office
Alabama State University
J. Garrick Hardy Student Center C2.48
915 S. Jackson Street
Montgomery, AL 36101-0271
Phone: (334) 229-4323

Office of Admissions
Alabama State University
J. Garrick Hardy Student Center
P.O. Box 571
Montgomery, AL 36101
Phone: (800) 253-5037